Monday, November 18, 2013

11 miles, in the snow, uphill, both ways



this was my route from my run on saturday--my last long run before the half on thanksgiving.  i was supposed to run 12 miles, and had planned on doing an 8 mile loop, and then a 4 mile loop.  the weather forecast was intimidating, calling for low to mid-30s and a 90% chance of snow/rain all day.  there was an hour in the morning that i probably should have left--although overcast it wasn't precipitating.  i was keeping busy with house chores, however, and so i committed to go in the afternoon during nap time.  

when i left it was snowing pretty heavily, and then it just got heavier.  and wetter.  i don't think there was much traffic out, but i couldn't tell because my glasses kept fogging up.  i sure heard a lot of honking every time i ran across an intersection, though.  right after windshield-wiping my glasses for the 20th time, i noticed the byu stadium lights were on.  oh good, i thought to myself, there are some other crazies out here!  i thought it was maybe a practice until i got down to provo and saw cars lined up along university ave--then i knew for sure there were other crazies out there!  there was a byu game going on, and all those poor crazy byu fans had to sit through the ENTIRE game, pretending they were enjoying themselves while it snowed down on them!  at least i--and the 2 other runners and 1 other biker i passed--were creating our own body heat while running.  i was wet, but warm enough.  i think.  i couldn't feel my legs or nether regions, and i couldn't decide if that was because i was cold and numb, or just excited to be out there running hardcore in the snow.

anyway, i felt totally great running the 8 mile loop, running up the center street hill felt great, and i even sprinted across the intersection at center and state to make the 10-second countdown the light gave me.  i got a smile from a driver out of that one.  i could see that smile because the snow had stopped at this point, and i had taken my glasses off.  

i even felt great when i passed our house to start the 4 mile loop.  and then, a mile and a half in, i knew i wouldn't be able to do it, and i'd have to cut it short.  the snow had slowed me down a bit, and i was 15 minutes shy of being out there for 2 hours.   the half i did at the end of august took me 2 hour 15-ish minutes, and i didn't want to be out there running longer than the half would take me to run.  i could feel a blister starting (this was the first time running in my winter shoes, and they are quite a bit heavier than my normal running shoes), i could tell my muscles were fatiguing, no matter how many peanuts and fruit snacks i was popping, and i was wet, wet, wet.  i've got to say, though, it feels great needing to stop running due to fatigue, instead of pain.  so i only ran 11 miles, but david always says the purpose of a long run is to push your aerobic limits, which this run did.  here i am, in all my wet 11 mile glory (too bad it looks like i need to (in the words of my big brother) take a dump):  


i know i probably could have simply said i went on a run in the snow on saturday, but i just can't help myself when it comes to adding extra details.  telling a story with details is apparently a new cultural phenomenon connected to blogging.  seriously.  isn't anyone doing their dissertation on this subject?  in general, the "blog voice" takes a long time to tell a story that could be simply told, makes very public a matter or experience that is better kept private, injects drama unnecessarily, and tends towards negativity (perhaps this negativity makes the story more amusing or interesting?).  i thought all that stuff was just part of telling a good story (see diagrams below)...  



ok, so i'll fess up the unnecessary drama i injected: 
  • the title.  it was uphill only one way.
  • yes, my glasses fogged up, a lot, but no one honked at me.  i thought it would entertain the unseen/unknown audience of my private, invitation-only blog.  in actuality, i was really careful at intersections and waited for all the lights before crossing (which, i admit, i don't always do).
  • my nether regions weren't numb, just sort of chilly.  i could feel my legs just fine.  i was wet, but warm enough.
  • "take a dump" isn't really in my vernacular, but i thought my brother would get a laugh out of it.
re-reading my tale, i really think that's it for drama i have to retract!  everything else was 100% accurate.  yay michal!  

2 comments:

robin marie said...

You are hard core for running in freezing rain and snow! The first morning it snowed my freshman year at BYU I decided I couldn't go to my 7am Spanish class! I'm a snow wimp.

C-Biscuit said...

It doesn't look like you need to take a dump, it looks like you ARE taking a dump!