Sunday, January 12, 2020

September 2019

Sept 1, 2019:
Today’s run got into my head a bit. I’m not fast, I know that. That’s never gotten in my way of still feeling strong on a trail. But today felt a little different. I felt heavy and slow and like I’m starting from ground zero to train for this event coming up in November. I had a lot of time to think about things...and that isn’t always good, I know you know what I mean. I had the whole “What’s the point of this?” conversation. 
Here’s what I love about trail running: 
You connect with people in a different way because nothing is off limits when you are on a trail. You connect with your surroundings in a different way because you have to be more aware, more engaged, on a trail. You watch yourself push your limits, constantly redefine your limits, adapt and become stronger. 
It completely changes your mental landscape. 
You feel different. You feel empowered. You feel changed. And this can’t help but translate to other areas of your life. 
Today I had to stop and look at myself realistically. It’s a challenge to shift your perspective and accept yourself for where and what you are, especially after feeling so much growth. 
Dang. I think I just need some Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Therapy.







Sept 1, 2019:

The crust is my favorite part.


Sept 2, 2019:
Tips: Trail Running for the Klutz 101
1. If you decide you sleep in, and start the trail 2 hours later than planned because you aren’t meeting anyone and feel no obligation to wake up at an unearthly hour and start the trail in the dark, you will get free heat training. 
2. If you want to capture a photo of yourself staring contemplatively off into the distance, you can set a timer on your camera phone. I was today old when I found this feature and tried it. 
3. If you eat it bombing down the trail, momentum will help you continue to slide for a good 2 feet or so. Just smile and hang on for the ride.












Sept 7, 2019:
If I ever whine again, someone please tell me to get over it. Every trail is different, every mile is different, every run is different. Some are going to be strong and some are going to be slower. And that’s ok. 
I ran the full Deer Creek trail for the first time roughly 18 months ago. That was the first time I’d run 15 miles, and I remember it being really, really hard. Those last 4-5 miles hurt. 
Today I felt strong enough to run the whole thing, even the hills—which I have never done—and I shaved over 10 minutes off my total time. 
Strength takes time to build, and goals take time to reach. And it also helps when you have a friend who makes you laugh.






Sept 9, 2019:

We had a fun pool day last Friday. We’re trying to get into a routine where we clean one Friday and swim one Friday. I swim 1200-1600m, then we all play together. We invited a friend to join us, too!






Sept 12, 2019:

Pace practicing the Baby Freeze, Headstand + dab with a wall assist, and a Tripod Headstand!




Sept 14, 2019:
Happy place. 
Back to Pushing-the-Mileage phase of training, and it feels great. Since Battle is closed, I took my loop around Baldy, and enjoyed a new section of trail I’d never done before.






Sept 13, 2019:

I was messing around with a magic 8 ball the other day. Trying to make major life decisions and all that. Max came up, and seeing what I was doing said, “sometimes those lie, and sometimes they tell the truth.” I asked him to show me and handed him to magic 8 ball. He started shaking it and asked, “Is my daddy a good daddy?” After a few tense moments the letters started to emerge from the indigo miasma. The 8 ball confidently said, “yes.” Max looked up at me and excitedly said, “see! This time it told the truth!”


Sept 16, 2019:

We enjoyed a picnic afternoon at Maple Lake after church.  It was beautiful, peaceful, and a great afternoon as a family.







(So tired from this training thing...)


Sept 18, 2019:
Cast your vote now: Which scenario in this narrative makes me the most crazy?:
A. On my Saturday run, I hit a new section of trail I’d never done before, winding around the back side of Baldy and down Dry Canyon. Even though I was right there, and could have bagged Baldy with a very minimal amount of mileage added, I passed right by the Baldy summit trail. 
B. This fact outlined in A ate at me for two days, until I decided I would summit Baldy via Dry Canyon for an early run before work on Tuesday. So I invited a friend, and we set a meet time for the adventure. 
C. After waking up to a 4:15 alarm, I got everything ready and a thunderstorm blew in. I was driving to meet my brave, adventurous friend at the trailhead, watching the lightning spider above Timp, right where we’d be running, and I turned into a 🐓 🥚...and I called my friend, whom I had invited on the adventure, and bailed on her. (I know, I’m the worst.)
D. When I bailed, I thought my friend was going to do the BST, but then she texted me a photo saying she was almost at the top!! (She’s amazing!) And I felt like a super dork. That and when David woke up, and realized I’d never even gone, he said, “Well, the last thing you want to become is a fair-weather runner...”
E. So...armed with my friend’s almost at the top photo and David’s line on repeat in my head, I last minute decided I could still summit Baldy before work...and after getting the boys off to school, I drove straight to Dry Canyon. 
F. Feeling like it was all worth it when I got these views...and 3600ft of elevation in 7 miles didn’t hurt!
(And also having my husband call me as I’m coming back down the trail, and when I tell him where I am he starts laughing and says,”That just bumped you into a totally new category. I didn’t think I could love you any more. I love this about you.”)
 
 



Sept 21, 2019:

West Mountain Scramble




Sept 22, 2019:

The boys' school had their annual apex fun run fundraiser.  Pace was very excited he set a new record, running 40 laps!


Sept 22, 2019:

Pace and Max went to Parker's birthday party where they had a show and tell zoo!


Sept 24, 2019:

Another Salt to Saint in the books for David!










Sept 28, 2019:

Hey mommy, I usually fart and then burp.  And did you know they're made of the same thing?  But it's crazy that farts smell and burps don't.


Sept 28, 2019:

Playing with our new canoe at Salem Pond.  Daddy is really looking forward to some fishing-on-lake canoe adventures, those are some of his favorite childhood memories, and he's so excited to share those experiences with our boys.













Sept 28, 2019:

This ended up being more of a hike than a run, and I didn’t make it to the peak within my allotted timeframe, but...I’ve really been dreading the cooler weatherand change of seasons this year, and this trail, with its fall colors, fragrant earthy smells, and moody skies, got me. I remembered I’m ok with a world that is sometimes shaggy and revels in its fallen-from-summertime state.




No comments: