Friday, December 11, 2015

thanksgiving

 papa instructing max on the intricacies of the laptop buttons, what they mean and what they do.


on wednesday the storm blew in while we were up at the outlets at the point of the mountain picking up my race packet.  we stopped for lunch and calorie-packed for the race!  


i ran the thanksgiving half at thanksgiving point, my second time running it.  a couple saturdays prior i ran 12 miles in 2:06, so i knew i could run the half in at least that time, and that was my goal.  i decided i wouldn't look at my watch, but just run and enjoy it, and try to keep with the 2:10 pacer.  at the starting line i only found the 2:00 pacer, and i thought, i can do that.  i'll just stay a little behind that pacer.  i felt great and wasn't struggling at all until mile 9, then realized it was a faster pace than i could keep for another 4 miles.  i got further and further behind the 2:00 pacer until i couldn't see her at all.  but no other pacer behind me caught up or passed, so i thought i'd still finish at least 2:06.  i kept getting slower and slower, and i kept telling myself over and over, "hey, this is nothing, it's just running, not hardscaping all day--you can do this!"  haha--i love that hardscaping is now the standard of hardness/difficulty.  imagine my surprise when i crossed the finish line at 2:02!  my fastest half yet!  i was at first ecstatic!  and then the more i thought about it, the more it drove me crazy--had i looked at my watch and seen how well i was running and that i would have finished so close to the 2:00 flat mark, i would have tried to push myself harder to shave of 2-3 minutes.  i gave it my all, and was even sore for a good 3-4 days afterwards, so i know i did all i could in the time i could...you know what i'll be doing next year...training speedwork to shave off that extra few minutes to finish sub-2 hours!!

i love these photos taken at the race--you can see the progression of hardness on my face...haha.  the race started at 8, so the first photo is just about 20 minutes in...


almost 60 minutes in...


an hour 45 in...


finish line.  man this one hurt!


pooped.  at least i had new, hot pink shoes.




thanksgiving feast: 430 pm and all the pies are still amazingly intact!  max had a roll feast.




No comments: