Sunday, May 8, 2011

woman of pure gold

everyone loves their grandma. here is mine, claire edel zeleny:




my grandma is beautiful, classy, has great taste, and is full of the perfect manners that only grandmas have. most of all, though, my grandma radiates the pure love of Christ. she is constant in patience, love, and her faith.

she taught me how to conduct music, 3:4 and 4:4 as they were the easiest for my 8 year-old hands. if i got lost?--no problem! "just go down at the bar." i have never forgotten that advice, and cannot tell you how many times i have gotten lost or missed a beat or got off rhythm...and it was no problem! i could just start fresh at the bar of the new measure. i led music in relief society today, and smiled to myself as i got ahead of the beat; i thought of my grandma and started fresh at the new measure. it really works!

at her 80th birthday party we listened to her life lessons at the end of the meal. the very first thing she started with? bearing her testimony. every lesson she shared she tied to a scripture. in that moment, sitting with the group of family and friends of various faiths and religious backgrounds, my grandma became more to me
than the grandma who played memory with me,
who took the cousins out to the smorgasbord restaurant,
who kept a dress-ups box for us,
who had the best mr. men book collection,
who split her beautiful costume jewelry with one of my cousins and me,
who shared her cracked glass colored vases with us,
who willingly sent us home each summer with bags and bags of frozen blackberries, raspberries, and peaches--
my grandma became a woman of strength, integrity, loving kindness, and fearlessness as she declared her allegiance to and love for her Savior.

No comments: