Monday, October 12, 2009

H1N1 vacation: day 1

my symptoms (heavy chest, cough, low grade fever) started last wednesday.  thursday is my day off from the pediatric office, and when i woke up, i was fairly certain i had the flu (although never did it cross my mind i had THE flu).  in addition to coughing and a fever, i was now achy, slightly dizzy, had a headache, sore throat, etc.  i slept for about 14 hours, and then called my office manager to ask for friday off, as well, thinking i could use the rest of the weekend to feel better and start work again on monday.  per office protocol, she had me come down to the office for a rapid influenza test.  we have obviously had lots of kids coming in with the same symptoms, and a co-worker of mine and i started with the symptoms on the same day...suspicious, no?  the rapid flu test was negative, but they still wanted me to go to the hospital for an H1N1 PCR test.  this test basically magnifies your dna (taken from a nasal secretion specimen) and looks for any interferences or manipulations, which a virus would do.

because of our insurance, we have to go to a certain hospital to stay in the network, so although my office is right next to utah valley hospital, i drove up to north orem to go to the timpanogos hospital.  after registering, sitting there with a mask on, feeling like an infected amoeba, i finally get back to the outpatient lab and the techs tell me they don't do this lab on an outpatient basis, only on inpatients.  so i have to go all the way back down to provo, re-register, wait some more, etc. etc.  my office manager also wanted me to start tamiflu, regardless of the results.  if the test ended up being negative, i would go back to work on monday.  if it were positive, office policy stipulates the employee taking 7 working days off.  results came in on friday: positive for H1N1.  another office policy: get all family members who have had contact to also begin tamiflu, as a prophylactic measure.  so david is also taking tamiflu.  we've been really lucky; the number one side effect is nausea and vomiting.  we haven't had any of that.  

we were going to have our housewarming on saturday, which obviously got postponed.  the weekend mainly consisted of a lot of sleeping, coughing, and sleeping some more.  with the tamiflu, it really isn't that bad--it feels like a cold on steroids.  my biggest symptom is fatigue, and then the residual coughing (which will linger for another 2 weeks or so), other than that, i seem to be fine.  so i get this whole week off, and i am feeling perfectly fine this morning, after 12 hours of sleep.  today, vacation day 1, i will do some ironing that desperately needs to be done, and put away two baskets of laundry we did over the weekend.  that'll probably be it for energy, and the rest of the day will be reading or movie-watching.  i've go another 4 days of this--any movie suggestions?      

3 comments:

Jay said...

Yuck! Sorry, just saw this. I hope you're better now, and David.

Since you have no nausea, I would suggest pork chops. Porcine DNA is so similar to ours that their protein is more easily incorporated by our bodies. Get some of that protein in there! That should knock out any foreign porcine introduction in your body!

Sounds like a plan!

By the way, if H1N1 cannot be acquired by eating pork, how come so many genius government medical directors in so many countries banned US pork importation? Hmmmm? Key words: genius, government and medical directors! Oxymoronic, or just moronic, not sure...

Hope you feel better. (;>)

Jordan fell and badly scraped her knee. It got so infected, because she did not do what I told her to do, that the school sent her home! We called the doctor. The doctor said they were inundated with kids with the flu, so they could not take her until the next day. I said, no thanks to the office visit and took care of it myself! Just like when I was a kid...

I wonder when they are coming out with the updated version H2N2... Hopefully it has a faster processing speed, better firewall and knocks out viruses better. If I find a link, I'll send it to you so you can download it.

In the meantime, hydrate! Double chocolate malts recommended.

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better soon...keep us in the loop on how you guys are feeling.

Take care and God bless you and David.

Marytha ;)

Unknown said...

You poor thing!! We still need to get together and catch up. Things are kind of busy right now. I'm going to be working part time with Melissa in the billing office at AF. It should be good and I won't really be away from my kids too much.