Monday, February 9, 2009

sorry, we need a male...

3-4 weeks ago i applied for a mentor position at a residential treatment center for teenage boys. i called the following week to check my status, and was told they had no current openings. today someone from the center called me.  here is how the conversation went down:
ring, ring.
me: "hello?"
him: "hi.  is, um, i'm looking for, is it...michael combs?"  (why don't people see two o's in the last name and pronounce it coombs?)
me: "yes, i'm michal."
him: "oh.  you?"
me: "yes."
him: "you're michael?"
me: "yes."
{pause}
him: "oh.  well, this is bob* from telos, and i'm looking here at your application....but, um, we need a male, and i thought you were..."
me: "that's ok, i get that a lot."
him: "so, are you a nurse?"
me: "i've worked as a medical assistant for the past eight years, and i recently graduated with my bachelor's in community health education."
him: "oh, really?  you know, you should apply when we have openings within our medical department."
me: "ok."
him: "ok.  well, thanks."
me: "ok.  thanks for your time."

maybe i should start attaching photos with the resumes i send out?

*name has been changed to protect the man who mispronounced my name and thought i was male.

3 comments:

Jay said...

Sooooo, play dress up!

Annette Bailey said...

Alas, there are setbacks to having such a cool name. Good luck with your job search!

Jaz said...

Residential treatment centers offer drug addicts and alcoholics inpatient rehabilitation treatment and other treatment forms.