Wednesday, November 30, 2016

A New Dinner Initiative

The boys are used to having (snack-sized) breakfast, 2nd breakfast, lunch, 2nd lunch, and dinner is usually a combination of whatever is left over from all that snacking.  Or I ask them what they want (grilled cheese, sandwich, hot dog, chicken nuggets, etc. + smoothie).  While David and I sit down to whatever I've prepared for us that night.  

Well.  Looking ahead, and knowing my time is going to shift in January when I start this Masters program, it's time to get the boys on a more routine eating schedule...ie...eat what everyone else is eating.  I introduced it with homemade meatballs and sauce, thinking that would be a great transition. I put the bowls in front of the boys and immediately they started whining, "I don't like that!"  "NOoooo!"  "Is that red stuff?  I don't like red stuff!"  

I let them get all their whining out then very calmly said, "Ok, that's all the whining we'll do from now on.  At dinner time, I will be serving real dinner.  If you see it and decide you don't want it, you will say, "No thank you, I would not like real dinner.  I would like prison food please."  Then we took turns practicing the new catch phrase.  (Prison food is one slice of bread, no jam or honey, and water.)  They at first asked for prison food, and then Pace decided he'd try real dinner, and Max followed suit.    Pace ate nearly his whole bowl, and Max tried at least one bite of noodle and one bite of meatball, dramatically gagging and coughing the whole way.    


No comments: