Sunday, January 10, 2016

Happy 2016

When we found out David had BOTH Thursday and Friday off work for the New Year, we decided to ring in the new year in St. George!  We were so excited to go somewhere warm and sunny for a few days.  I checked the weather and it was supposed to be partly sunny to sunny and in the high 40s while we were there.  That sounded pretty good to me, and I thought the high 40s would feel pretty balmy compared to the teens and blizzardy snow storms we have been having (and, apparently, the only state in the nation having this cold, snowy weather this winter!).  So...I only packed light jackets.  We got down there and the partly cloudy 40s actually felt pretty cold!  And it got even colder at night!  And there was snow and it was in the 20s with wind in Kolob Canyon where we went hiking!  MomFail #1.

The boys were super excited to help pack all their "favorite things".  



Turns out the best way to get your kids to eat their money's worth at a buffet is to stuff them in a car and drive for 4 hours with no food or drink.  (Haha, just kidding, I over-packed a TON of snacks, like always, and, like always, the boys only ate one cracker pack each.)


The boys waited for me and had fun with Daddy while I ran in to get some groceries for our stay.



Also before turning in for the night, we hit up Dick's Sports to check out some sales--the boys fell in love with these sleeping bags that stuffed into perfect little boy-sized back packs.  It turned out working perfectly in the 1-bedroom condo we rented for the weekend; David and I got the bedroom and the boys got the sofa beds, their sleeping bags were perfect toppers.



We packed our computer so Pace could keep up with Upstart.  Thanks to Bishka's suggestion, I figured out how to make the screen bigger.  That poor boy has been doing his reading and activities with a quarter-sized screen.  
MomFail #2.



Max absolutely loved the margarita glasses in the condo.  Juice every morning with a smile!


I got a nice 5 mile run in along the Virgin River trail, and David went out later for ride.  This whole trip we just kept looking at each other and reminding ourselves we made the conscious choice to stay in Utah County instead of trying to move to St. George.  Man we love it down there!



MomFail #3:  I didn't want to spend money on heavier winter coats since they already had coats at home, so I decided to just make the boys layer up and put their hoods up when we went for a hike in Kolob Canyon.  It was sunny, but so windy at the base of the canyon and in the 20s (What?!  I thought St. George was where people went in the winter to escape winter...If I were trying to escape winter, I'd keep on going south of the border!).  We took the scenic drive up to the trail head, and thank heavens the wind died down.  It was the warmest part of the day and we stayed warm enough hiking the whole time.  But...passing all the other hikers dressed in down coats, and their kids in full snow pants, coats, hats and mittens...definitely made me feel like I maybe should have gotten the boys those coats at the store!!








Pace insisted on carrying his plastic tool box (from Papa and Ninnie for Christmas)--not full of tools, but so he could fill it with rocks at the top for his rock collection!  I think I ended up carrying it down while holding his hands to warm him up.  Max stayed on David's shoulders most of the hike.




The "Resort" Condo we stayed at had a fun maze Pace took head on full speed ahead.  Afterwards we played a couple rounds of mini golf.



This is the day David discovered I am a Pro-Mini Golfer.  This is my FIRST of 3 hole-in-ones, which also happened to be the first hole of the course, when I nonchalantly swung the golf stick thing while saying, "So, you think I can get a hole in one?"  (Holes in one are all about instilling psychological confusion in your opponent).  The boys LOVED doing this course and did a great job taking turns!


{Proven method of getting your ball in the hole}




David's hole in one (and my 3rd).





I was slightly overambitious on one swing and after all my Holes-In-Ones, David had to document my bush diving.



High-Fiving and rocking out to Lionel Richie.



Happy New Year, We Love You, St George!!



No comments: