Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Rehoboth Beach!!

This was my first trip to visit everyone and everything back east in about 5-6 years!  It went by so fast, we could have spent another week doing everything on our list.  On the top of everyone's list was hitting the beaches I grew up going to--Rehoboth, Bethany, Delaware.  This was also where I took David when we met for the first time!  This trip was great--a bit of nostalgia, and seeing new things with our boys.


Pace was super excited for the beach, but Max was a little more hesitant when he hit the sand.  I told Max he needed to take his sandals off to feel the sand in his toes, and he said, "No, I don't want it in my toes!"  Max was content to stay on the "soft sand" with Bishka, go for walks, and find shells washed way up on the beach, far away from the wet waves.  I thought being there in May would be warm enough for the beach, but it was windy, wet, and cold!  There's an "off-season" to places for a reason!




Pace, on the other hand, was like a puppy dog scampering around the ocean.  I've never seen him so completely jump into something!  It didn't matter that the ocean was about 40 degrees, Pace wanted to be playing in the waves as much as possible!  Pace and I were definitely at home in the ocean waves, the sand, the beach, finding sea crabs and shells... 























The boys never switched over from Mountain Time to Eastern Time.  We spent our nights trying to wear out their energy.  The first night at the beach they had a dance party on their bed.  At 1130pm.






And then David and I would wake up super early to get a run in before the boys woke up.  Bishka graciously stayed with the sleeping boys until we got back.  It was really fun finding the beach wildlife along our run!







The next night the jet-lagged boys practiced their light saber moves by the pool.  It was a  hit until they started circling the pool, and I had visions of one or both of them falling in and me jumping in after them in a great rescue.  So we went back inside.  





And the next morning David and I checked out Gordon's Pond Trail.  It was a really pretty run through a sort of peninsula, and we passed lots of other joggers, bird watchers, and bikers.





That day we drove down the road to the next little beach alcove--Delaware State Beach, I think.  This was the beach I took David to when we first met.  We literally laid on the beach all day long, we never walked down the beach to Rehoboth, never checked out the boardwalk, ate fries or ice cream...I really made him miss out on all the good stuff.  So we checked out the beach we laid on all day last time we were here, and also did the boardwalk, fries, ice cream, popcorn, etc.  Even if it was a little colder than last time...











MAN it was cold and windy!!





Check out all those flavors!!  I actually found TWO I'd made at home on my own!  At least I know they work and were more popular than just my kitchen!  




And...this is why you don't go to the beach on off-season...






Our last morning ended up turning into half a day at the beach!  Pace just wanted to play some more, and I couldn't blame him!  So we flew a kite, made a sand dinosaur, found more shells, and even though we told Pace to stay dry, he ended up playing in the ocean some more!












Max loved chasing the seagulls




We had to pick up some Thrasher's Fries and sandwiches for the road!...The fries were gone while we were waiting for the sandwiches...haha!


Heading to Northern VA though the tunnel!  Hold your breath!  And then heading around 495 and seeing the Temple.  A nice, familiar sight!  I'd forgotten about ALL THE TOLLS...Bishka came to the rescue again...



No comments: