Thursday, June 16, 2016

Odds & Ends

 I was so excited one afternoon at the library to stumble upon this collection for sale; .50 cents each!  It's missing Volume 6 (Letter F), but the rest are there!  I loved reading these when I was a child!  I remember their stories, illustrations, definitions--I promptly bought them up and the boys and I have been loving snuggling up on the couch and reading!  The boys will pick a letter, and I'll read through the Index, until we find a subject they want to read about.  Then we'll read it, and go on to the next one.  They've been as enjoyable to read as a mama!  The day we read about airplanes, and looked at all the different kinds of flying machines that have been invented, Pace put together his own lego biplane with a propeller.  


Our backyard neighbors had some topsoil delivered.  All the boys had been out back riding their bikes, and when the truck came, they all came over to our wall to sit down and watch.  I was getting dinner ready and heard shouts of joy, truck honking, and laughing.  The boys learned how to wave their arms and the truck driver honked in return!




I'm not sure I remember why Max was karate chopping his notebook, maybe something about the sound of a letter?  He sure thought it was funny.


Pace was pretending to be a "Good Ghost" one day with his blanket, and the "Good Ghost" wrote Max a letter:  "Max I Luv Yoo.  From Gd Goost".  Pace is doing such a great job reading, writing, and sounding things out.  He's the little thinker!


Another great story from the encyclopedia, I think the story about the invention of the wheel.  It had an experiment to make a little paper cart and wheels and attach them to an axel (the pencils) to see how they turn.  Pace thought that was pretty cool, although our wheels kept falling off. 


Another rousing game of saving the ants from the anteater!  This one was full of flying machines, trampolines, ladders, and hot air balloon rides.



Sweet Max, on a movie night, snuggling in my bed, saying he wanted to give me a kiss.  "Here, and here!"



And chores.  Max loves following me around, and especially loves vacuuming.  The only problem is his method of vacuuming is picking up individual pieces of carpet, dirt, crumbs, etc., and feeding them, one by one, into the vacuum tube.  Takes a while.




No comments: