Sunday, December 28, 2008

blog-a-thon

i took a hiatus from blogging for a couple of months.  right around halloween my semester became very busy...it was my last semester of school, i was finishing up my two internship projects, applying for jobs, finishing research papers, and illustrating a book for a friend.  phew!  let me go back...

yes, folks, i am now a graduate.  i now have a bachelor's of science in community health education from utah valley university.  uvu only has one walk a year, so even though i am an official graduate, i'll walk in the spring.  this is a big deal for me--i graduated from high school ten and a half years ago, and although i have had many wonderful life experiences and lessons, i never thought a formal education was on my list of things to do.  i just didn't see myself capable of finishing something like a bachelor's.  now i am ready to go on for a master's!  i loved my experience at uvu, loved my health classes, maintained a 3.9 gpa, and loved writing research!  

i had two papers published in undergraduate journals, which was a super-big highlight for me.  the journals are being put online through the school's digital library collection, so here's the link for one paper entitled "mrsa and society: the sociology of biomedicine and illness", which was printed in the journal for behavioral studies.  the other paper entitled "legally free, socially imprisoned: the new south and the black slave" (printed in the journal of history) is not posted yet.  i'll attach the link when it is available.    

the other exciting link is for the book i illustrated.  it's a little children's story about an elephant learning his trunk really is valuable.  my friend's mother told them stories when they were little, and my friend wrote it down for her, asked me to illustrate them and had it printed through an online self-publishing service at blurb.com.  this is the first book, and there are two more to come.  

anyway, now that things have calmed down, i can take an hour or two and post photos from the last few months...enjoy the blog-a-thon!
    

2 comments:

Jay said...

I, for one, am very proud of that accomplishment and the 3.9 GPA!! It would be nice to take credit for the genetics involved in that score, but I am not sure I can...

LOVED the illustrated book! Fave picture - the elephant under the banana tree - first, there are three, count'm three of Fred Flintstone's bowling balls there and I count 13 bananas! VERY symbolically American (Mason too...)

Destination Davis said...

Michal, it is so neat that you had the opportunity to illustrate a children's book! Amazing!!! It is good to know you are doing well. Congrats on school as well, amazing! I'm proud of you. It is not easy to get through school, but when we do, there is a weight lifted and pride takes it's place! You are one AMAZING WOMAN! Love and miss you...;)